Dear Parents, Carers, Pupils and Staff
Thank you for taking a few moments to read my weekly update messages
1) Covid 19
Thankfully, we have not had any recent cases. However, it is clear that we need to continue to be vigilant in terms of stopping the spread of Covid 19 so that lockdown easing can take place in accordance with the roadmap as set out by the government.
I would be grateful, therefore, for everyone continuing to:
– Test twice weekly and upload results to the NHS & school websites
– Remember Hands Face Space
– Ensure that pupils are outside at break and lunch
– Respect the one way system
– Maintain good ventilation in classrooms
– Stay at home if you have symptoms – continuous cough, temperature or loss of taste / smell
With walk in vaccinations opening up, hopefully it will not be too long before the percentages of those vaccinated are enough to beat the virus.
2) Trips and Visits
Thank you to Year 10 History Pupils, Miss Beresford, Mr Harrop, Mrs Dymott, Mr Clarke Jones and Miss Forrester for the Sherborne Castle visits this week! Also, we welcomed Mr Watt back for these visits. They have been a welcome ray of light in terms of taking pupils out of the classroom and into the real world for an opportunity that supports the curriculum and brings learning to life.
Also in this regard, I am pleased to say that Public Health Dorset have confirmed that our Drama Production, My Sister Sadie, can take place, albeit in an outdoors venue and with control measures in place. Pupils have worked hard rehearsing this and we will share details in the next week about how the event will operate.
3) Quality of Education
A big “well done” to Year 10 pupils this week for your conduct and approach to your exams. You have begun very well and are clearly determined to make the most of the chance to familiarise with the exam hall at this point in time. Please remember that exams continue next week and so even if it is a little later than ideal, it is still sensible to review your notes over the weekend prior to next week’s exams.
In class, teachers have been focused on “Do Now” tasks this week as a way of supporting lesson transitions and helping pupils focus as soon as they enter the classroom. Thank you, pupils, for the way you have responded to these – there has been lots of effective retrieval practice going on to make sure that your knowledge acquisition continues to develop!
4) Coming up…
We have a busy few weeks ahead with lots of key events. Please do talk with your child to check that they are aware!
– Sports Day … we would love for everyone to take part!
– Year 6 Transition Evening Tours … please do check our website and Facebook feed for more information
– End of Year Assessments … keep working hard to show your teachers what you can do
– Year 10 Careers Education / Work Experience Week …. more details from Mr Jennings next week on this but this looks like an excellent programme!
– Year 7 Disco … Miss Gordge will keep in touch with the final details
– Year 5 Online Information Evening … this will be on MS Teams on Thursday 8 July at 6pm. Please do share with friends and family who may be interested!
For now, though, enjoy a great weekend wherever you will be – possibly watching a game or two of football?!
God bless you all!
Mr John Cornish