Those attending: Kyle Graham, Anish Carney, Kady Byrne, Elijah Allen, Lucy Clark, Elijah Doyley, Sam Stratton, Strephon Thomas, Jayden Wheeler, William Hyde, Kaitlyn Knight, Lewis Hickman, Wen Zhou, Leo Kench, Archie Nash, James Scarff, Jess Garwell,, Beth O’ Malley, Finley Daddow, Izzy James, Bradley Morgan, Zoe Dackham, Libby Hymas, and George Clark. Staff: Mrs Bell and Ms Burnet.
Welcome from Mrs Bell. Outlined agenda and potential visitors to the meeting – Mr Boyes and Mr McDonald.
Item 1: HUGE thank you to Wen and Lucy for being chair and deputy chair this year. We appreciate all their efforts. Given the opportunity to say how they felt the year had gone. Generally positive. Getting direct access to put opinions across. This is something that the school council felt needed to happen in September.
Item 2: Mr McDonald was welcomed. Discussion on R4L cards. The floor was opened for him to hear opinions on how they work and what they felt the issues were. This was much appreciated by the school council and they were willing to assist with a survey in the future.
For the remainder of the time, open to issues:
Shorts – for boys. This has been brought up before but people would like this to be brought up again by the new school council in September. Is uniform in general something to be revised?
Bins – again brought up before. Lack of bins on top field (tech) How do we get pupils to use the bins?? A lot of the litter is laziness to walk to the nearest bin. Mr Osborne did an assembly including this earlier in the year, another whole school push on this?
Fundraising – is there a way to fundraise for equipment? Charity option this year was to vote for an external charity or for school funds and pupils chose an external charity. If a group of pupils wish to do something they can organise it and ask permission to do it themselves. Non-school uniform days – more of these? It is something that the school has a limit on due to money required and the issues around pupils feeling uncomfortable coming into school in non-uniform. Is it possible to know how many non-uniform days the school allows and usually what these are for?
Blazers – do they have to be worn between lessons in the summer? Thought that this was decided based on a certain temperature. Clear guidance from SLT to be passed on via tutors/assemblies to all pupils.
School Council Meeting – 29/03/18
• Apologies from year 11’s who were prom dancing. In the absence of chair (Wen) and deputy chair (Lucy), Will Hyde stepped up to lead.
• Attending: Kyle Graham, Kaitlin Knight, Sam Stratton, Tommy Burdett, Harry Wilson, Anisha Richards, William Hyde, Jacob Hussey, Zoe Dackham, Lewis Hickman, Jacob Liggins, Jessica Butler, George Clark, Libby Hymas, Izzy James and Finley Daddow.
• An open agenda today with some issues pre sent from tutor reps prior to the meeting.
• Jenny and Anton from the canteen came for feedback on the food etc. Tea and Coffee? Sold hot chocolate before. Staggered lunchtime. Canteen queues. Year 11’s skipping the queue. Discussed new food ideas and looked at new menu. Anton very honest and was open to making some changes if finances allowed. Listened to ideas from pupils.
• Rest of the meeting was a discussion on ready for learning cards and behaviour. Mrs Bell to follow up these issues and report back next term. Some other staff will be invited to the meeting if possible.
The school Council would also like to have a charity match, an X-factor and a non-uniform day for children in need.
The video’s editor is Libby, the upper school rep, is Kadie and the lower school rep, is Lewis.